Get the free 1040x form 2021-2022
What is 1040X form?
1040X Tax Form (Amended US Individual Income Tax Return) is required to make amendments and corrections to individual income tax return forms (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040 EZ-T, 1040-SR, 1040NR, and 1040 NR-EZ). The IRS uses the information to make corrections in the database. The taxpayer can make the following changes: return filing status, income, deductions, number of exemptions, etc.
Who needs to complete Form 1040X form?
Taxpayers use Form 1040X to correct information, such as taxpayer’s status or the number of dependents, in the annual tax return already filed with the IRS. If more than one tax return needs correcting, you must file a separate Form 1040X for each year.
What other documents must accompany IRS Form 1040X form?
Depending on the reason of changes to the individual income tax return form, the taxpayer should attach other supporting documents to 1040X Form. Keep in mind that changes in your return may need to adjust other items.
What information should be provided in 1040X Form?
Ensure you have the original tax return that needs correction when filling out Form 1040X.
The taxpayer has to fill out the following sections:
- Personal information (name, social security number, spouse’s name, and social security number, home address, phone number)
- Amended return filing status
- Income and deductions (original amount, net change, correct amount)
- Tax liability
- Refund of the amount you owe
- Presidential Election Campaign Fund
- Explanation of changes
The form should be signed and dated by the taxpayer and preparer (if other than the taxpayer) and the spouse (if applicable).
How do I fill out 1040X Form in 2022?
You can fill out Form 1040X electronically using pdfFiller. Here’s how to proceed:
- Click the Get Form button at the top of this page.
- Follow the green pointer to identify all fillable fields.
- Use the checkmarks, cross icons, and other annotation and text manipulation tools to complete your form.
- Click Sign in the top toolbar to create and add your eSignature.
- Date the document by using the respective option in the top toolbar.
- Complete your IRS 1040X Form.
When is 1040X due?
File 1040X Tax Form after filing the original return. As a rule, this form must be filed within three years after you’ve filed your tax return with the IRS and within two years after paying the tax. This date may change for those mentally or physically unable to complete the form.
Where do I send 1040X Form after its completion?
Send IRS 1040X Form and all supporting documents to the IRS or eFile the form. To find the correct mailing address, please visit the IRS website.